Tuesday 13 November 2018

Shibori goes edible


The challenge was to create something in shibori that was edible.
Punching shapes out of Sugar paper, the sort cake decorators use, was my first idea.
I realized that I would have to use hygienic conditions and equipment... but that ought to be possible  - so I tried it with a paper punch.
Ugh! that cake decorating stuff is so sweet, and not good for anyone.

Then I thought of the complete opposite - tasteless rice paper; the edible one, not the fabulously durable Japanese paper one.  Trying to find rice paper was even more difficult than the run around I had trying to find Sugar Paper (thanks to Christina for sourcing the sugary one for me).
Then my dear friend in England sourced the rice paper for me (Lakeland of course) and I then punched shapes out of that. Though he paper cutter shapes were too 'Michaels'.
It is edible, but the sensation makes you wish you never popped it into your mouth in the first place.  Yet it could work.

I then tasked myself to shape them via shibori. And I was proper-thrilled to discover a technique to stop the rice paper becoming a big mess.  And I have now created Edible Shibori Creatures they will go on to save a village of starving people.





No comments: